Monday, July 25, 2011

What to look for in a Customizer

Finding the right customizer can be really tough. As this hobby grows, new artists pop up every day. Some are excited at merger of sports and art and others may just be trying to make a quick buck. If you don't choose me as your customizer, I hope you find the one that's the perfect fit for you. Here are some things to look for:

  • 1. A Picture is Worth 1000 Words
Take a close look at the pictures the artist provides you. How well can you see the details? If the work is good, the artist won't be afraid to show the item in all it's glory with a few close-ups thrown in. Poor customizers will purposely shoot their items from a far distance and/or shoot at only certain angles to hide flaws and poor quality. Don't be afraid to ask for better pictures.

  • 2. You Get What You Pay For
Price is a tricky factor. Every artist is going to put a value on their work as well as a value on their time. A customizer with a lot of free time may put a lower value on their time than a family man. Generally, the more expensive the custom, the more detailed it's going to be. Straight repaints of existing figures are the least expensive options but you'll be limited to the equipment details of that base figure. Custom poses definitely cost more but will allow the customizer to add every last detail you are looking for. Also, expect to pay a down payment.
  • 3. Turn Around Time
Turn around time can be hard to predict. It could be 2 weeks or it could be 3 months. Don't be afraid to ask how long it will take but understand the wait can be long. Most customizers have several customs in the works for different customers at any given time. Where you are in the queue will affect the finish time. There are very few full-time customizers so the amount of time that can be spent on the craft will effect turn-around. The biggest key is open communication, be sure you can find a customizer that will keep up to date on where the project is at.
  • 4. eBay
eBay can actually be a good place to find customs at a low price but see point 1. I know some great customizers that sell their works on eBay and I know some complete hacks that sell on there as well. Why would a good customizer sell on eBay? The answer to that is freedom. My work is 100% commissions so the figures I make are dictated by the customer. A lot of artists don't want to be bound to that, they want to make stuff that really excites them. eBay allows them an outlet to sell their work when it's finished. The artist knows that if you really like the work, you might make a request for one later. A lot of customizers build quite the customer base from eBay. But, for every artist truly excited about their craft, there is one out there just trying to make a quick buck. Let the pictures be your judge and don't bid on anything that seems questionable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remove your blog & I will remove mine. We can both move on from this game that you have started. I have customs to finish, so it's up to you. You already know who I am. Have a good day Jeremy I will be done with you completely when you take down your blog & I will take down mine. I will check back to see if you did by this Saturday, if not then I will have no choice but to release my WRATH!! Just kidding bro!!!

Jeremy said...

Peter, I have no problem removing my original post about you. I have told you that a dozen times.

All I wanted you to do was pull your eBay auction and apologize to Matt & Erik. You can still apologize to them and I'll pull down the posting like I promised.

Just use your Pedro account on Jomo's and message ect22 and Jamf79. Message AlphaRam while you're at it too. You went after his eBay feedbakck. I'm not even saying you have to make it public. I just want to be done with it. I'm too busy with customs to be constantly getting messages from people about your latest postings.